If you watched my Facebook Live earlier this week, you know that my skincare routine has been in a total overhaul this past winter.
One of my new favorite skincare hacks is a dermaroller. Ya’ll. Have you ever seen the Kardashians do that crazy Vampire facial? Yup, that's what I am talking about except...not so intense.
If you want smooth skin that honestly feels like it’s glowing....you need a dermaroller.
If you want to prevent wrinkles and incorporate anti-aging treatments...you need a dermaroller.
If you have scars on your skin because of acne...you need a dermaroller.
This at home treatment is called microneedling, and trust me, it’s worth your time.
Don’t believe me? Check out my cousin’s story.
So, Rosy is the reason I started using a dermaroller. I couldn't believe the drastic changes in her skin! She told me she had been using it for the last few months to help with her acne scars, and I honestly could not believe the results! Her skin just keeps getting better and better. She is just one of the amazing testimonials, just take a quick peek in a google search.
Of course, this piqued my interest. I don’t have heavy acne scars, but I do have very large pores and some light acne scarring on the insides of my cheeks. Shortly after Rosy mentioned the dermaroller to me and showed me her mindblowing results, I read an article about how microneedling can be anti-aging. So there isn’t a ton of science behind this (yet), but the idea is that the needles penetrate the skin, stimulating the healing process, which allows collagen and elastin to be produced. Ya’ll already know how I feel about collagen...which is another reason I make sure to drink it everyday, because if I am stimulating the production in my skin, I wanna be sure there is plenty of it! And worst comes to worst, you’re getting a really great & easy exfoliation at home. But, trust me, once you try this for yourself, you’ll fall in love too. The roller I use is a .25 roller from Banish, but there are other options out there, with bigger needles for more dramatic results!
So how do you do it?
- You are poking holes into your skin, so you want to be sure your skin is clean, clean, clean. This is the one night a week I choose to wash my face with the Charcoal Bar because it literally gets my face squeaky clean. I’ll lather up, and use a clean washcloth with warm water to wipe my face. So important to use a washcloth when washing you're face to make sure you are removing all the dirt!
- Then, I mask. the No. 3 Balancing Charcoal Mask will pull up any impurities from my skin/pores. Not only does masking just FEEL relaxing, but it also exfoliates, cleans, and makes the pores tighter.
- Because the needles will allow the product you put on your skin to be quickly absorbed, you should put on an oil or serum prior to microneedling. I use Beautycounter’s No. 1 Brightening Oil which has Rose Hip, Avocado, & Vitamin C, which means it’s loaded with antioxidents and helps with brightening and evening your skin tone. My cousin uses all Banish products, and uses the Banish Oil, which also has Vitamin C in it.
- And then...you roll! I would highly recommend watching a video on this. You don’t want to “drag” the roller across your skin or turn it sharply because you don’t want to cause any damage. It should certainly be firm enough to penetrate the skin, but not too firm. I am going to be honest...this is not the most pleasant feeling in the world. I would say it hurts slightly more than your eyebrows being waxed, but wayyyyyyyyy less than your hoohah being waxed, haha. The recommended amount of time is 2-6 minutes for your whole face, but I just roll over the same area 4-5 times and make my way across my face and neck.
- After rolling, I immediately apply 2-3 drops of oil by gently patting into the skin.
You will wake up with skin that feels smoother, tighter, and honestly has a glow that you can’t even describe. There is no fast & hard rule about aftercare, but I would definitely recommend going makeup free if you can avoid it. Your skin is healing, and putting heavy product on your face will only clog up those pores again. Also, avoid my mistake and don’t go running at noon the day after you microneedle. Even though I had lathered sunscreen on, my skin was extremely sensitive and I got slightly sunburnt after. I haven’t taken any pictures, but I can definitely take some pictures the next time I roll! You want to be sure to replace your roller head 4-5 times after using. I microneedle my face and my neck at least once a week.
Right now, I am doing a GIVEWAY with the Banish Roller that I use! All you have to do to enter is enter your name & email address into the subscribe link right below!
In addition, I will be giving away the Beautycounter Multi-Masker set, which has all three face masks that Beautycounter offers, including the No. 3 Balancing that I use when I microneedle, AND a brush to apply! To win this awesome set, follow my Instagram (@mrs.miavaldez) & tag THREE friends in my Instagram post!
I highly, highly recommend you try this amazing at-home anti-aging hack!! I’d love to hear your thoughts if you've already tried it, or begin to try!
Disclaimer: I am not an esthetician, and all thoughts expressed in those blog post are solely based off my opinion, my own research, and my experience.